k1,*yo, k2tog*

About me, myself, and I and the hobbies I have, including, but not limited to knitting. Oh, yeah, and my family too.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, United States

Native Hoosier who never escaped. Living with hubby and kid in a house packed with too many crafts. And this is a problem how?

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Warning: This post may piss people off.

Stuck between a Rock and a hard place: This is where I am in my everyday struggle with weight. The reason: Artificial sweetners.

I am allergic to both Nutrasweet and Splenda. A miniscule amount of either will give me a headache that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. Nutrasweet is the worst, and now that manufactures have listened to the consumer, you find it in everything. And the bad thing is that now they don't have to have the big Nutrasweet logo on things because everyone is just calling it by its generic name of aspartame.

Case in point: I purchased a package of Wrigley's Doublemint gum a few months ago. After chewing one (1) piece for about 10 minutes, I noticed the distinct aftertaste that aspartame leaves in my mouth. Five minutes after that, I have a headache. Fifteen minutes after that, I have to leave work so I can go home, take massive amounts of pain killers, lay down in a dark room, and try to go to sleep.

Now, why would a gum that is not sugar free to start with, have aspartame in it? As a flavor enhancer, not a sweetner. Thanks to Wrigley's, I can no longer chew gum, with the exception of Bubble Yum, and that gets old after a while.

Flavored water is another product on my no-no list. Anything listed as "light" is verboten. I got a "light" frappacino from Starbucks on Sunday, thinking it would be lighter in fat, but it also had Splenda in it, so I again had a headache which lasted most of the evening. You'll even find aspartame in children's vitamins.

Aspartame breaks down into several different, highly poisonous chemicals when exposed to temperatures above 86 degrees F. One of them is formaldhyde. You know, the stuff they use to embalm people.

I won't go into all of the details of how GD. Searle and Company basically lied to the FDA and the American public about the safety of aspartame. Do a Google search for "ban aspartame" and you'll find reems of info. Just do me a favor: keep the crap away from me.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sam said...

Oh miss, I am so with you. I HATE, DESPISE that stuff. I have the same thing...instant migraine. It was you who saved me from buying the doublemint without double checking the label for aspartime. I was gonna teach Drake how to blow bubbles with gum the other day, and the ONLY freakin kind that doesn't have it is bubble yum. I haven't tried Splenda yet because it frightens me also, and it looks like I won't try it. If it gives you a headache like the other poison I'm sure it'll give me one.

Anything that has the side effects of aspartime should be banned....it's horrible stuff.

3:46 PM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

Hate the stuff. I don't get an instant migraine from it the way I do with people who bathe in their freakin' perfume, but it'll tip a bearable one into the Pain Zone. I basically drink coffee and water.

2:16 PM  
Blogger Jan said...

I use aspartane in my coffee, and I drink lots and lots of coffee! I don't have a problem with it. But I do entirely relate. I get a near instant migrainne with sacrine. (Go figure.)
I also get the near instant migrainne with whatever the common preservitive is that most resturants use on the produce (lettuce) in their salad bars, strong perfumes/colognes, arosol chemical pestisides, and many other such items.

8:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home