k1,*yo, k2tog*

About me, myself, and I and the hobbies I have, including, but not limited to knitting. Oh, yeah, and my family too.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, United States

Native Hoosier who never escaped. Living with hubby and kid in a house packed with too many crafts. And this is a problem how?

Friday, November 18, 2005

Trans-Siberian Orchestra

SIL and I went to see TSO last night. Having only heard one or two of their songs at the holidays, I wasn't sure what to expect. Wow. Talk about the range of emotion and talent that was up on that stage. There were times I didn't know whether or shout "Bravo" or get out my lighter and shout "Freebird." The music, mostly Christmas and classical with a hard rock beat, was loud, and the light and laser show was a bit much at times (the strobes were enough to send anyone into a grand mal seizure), but over all I had a great time.

None of them are from anywhere near Siberia. I think it was just a neat sounding name choice. They played Mozart like Mozart would have, had he had electric guitars, keyboards, and violins (yes, an electric violin). Beethoven's 5th was very hard driving. Orff's "O, Fortuna" from Carmina Burana was another wonderful rock re-vamp. But, I think my favorite were the selections from "The Nutcracker." The Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies brought up mental images of teenagers hyped up on sugar and caffeine dancing in combat boots. The Russian dance would have been perfectly suited for a mosh pit.

My only complaints, though minor, were the volume and the singers' dresses. Come on folks, we're in a FIELDHOUSE, for cryin' out loud. Lack of proper acoustics cannot be made up with volume. And the dresses, while nice in regular light, left nothing to the imagination when backlit. You could see up to possible and then some.

Overall, it was a good show. I want to thank my brother for getting the tickets and for watching both boys while SIL and I went to the concert. Probably one of the better birthday presents I've gotten from him. Great seats, too.

Next month's review - Mannheim Steamroller, I hope.

1 Comments:

Blogger City Wiccan said...

I had to read twice here . . . TSO also stands for Toronto Symphony Orchestra. I was confused for a bit and I had to check where you were from.
Thanks for leaving comments on my site. I'm curious what celtic books you have for knitting.

5:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home